Mister President, Distinguished Delegates, Mr Executive Director of UN-Habitat, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
- This statement is on behalf of the European Union and its Member States.
Serbia and Ukraine align themselves with this statement.
- The European Union and its Member States would like to thank and congratulate all participants of the 26th Governing Council of UN-Habitat for this successful meeting.
- We hope, that being the first Governing Council meeting after the Habitat III conference and evidently improved from the last GC meeting, it will mark a beginning of a new period for UN-Habitat as a more efficient, effective and accountable organization, fit for its role in the implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
- We have agreed today an important package of resolutions that will guide the Secretariat of UN-Habitat on their work in the next biennium, notably in response to the New Urban Agenda.
- The EU and its Member States find it very important that the Governing Council decided to continue strengthening the oversight of UN-Habitat by prolonging the mandate of the Working Group on Programme and Budget. We also very appreciate the agreement to improve the engagement of UN-Habitat with stakeholders by extending the accreditation to Habitat III stakeholders and to develop a new Stakeholders Engagement Policy.
- Mister President we would like to acknowledge that without the great cooperation the conference could not be successful. A consensual agreement on all nine resolutions seals the Nairobi Spirit which we would like to build on for future meetings of UN-Habitat and other conferences taking place in this location.
- We trust that the next Governing Council meeting will improve even further and any shortcomings will be corrected. We trust that the Secretariat will be able to draw necessary lessons together with the CPR.
- Finally, we would like to express our particular appreciation for their excellent work to Mr David Mulet of Guatemala and Ms Lori Dando of the United States, the co-chairs of the drafting group, as well as the Members of Bureau, all Member States and the staff of the Secretariat for their invaluable contributions to this successful meeting.
- We are leaving this meeting encouraged by the dedication of Member States to the implementation of the New Urban Agenda in their regions, countries and cities. Also in the European Union we are joining our efforts to deliver on this universal commitment.
I thank you