144th meeting of the Committee of Permanent Representatives of UNEP
8 January 2018
Interventions on behalf of the EU and its MS
Agenda Item 5: Report of the Executive Director
- Madame Chair, distinguished colleagues; it is my privilege to speak on behalf of the European Union and its Member States. Ukraine aligns itself with this statement.
- We thank the Acting Executive Director, Ms Joyce Msuya and the Secretariat for the quarterly report on UNEP activities. We appreciate the continuous improvement of this reporting tool, both in terms of its content and the structure. However, we would like to recall the need for including in the report the ongoing efforts in terms of the internal reforms and their relation to the overall UN system reforms. We also find insufficiently covered the issue of the implementation of the audits recommendations. Particularly, as regards the 2018 OIOS audit on the official travel of UNEP, it was our understanding that the implementation plan of its recommendation would be presented to the CPR in this meeting. We therefore ask the Acting Executive Director to present and discuss with the Member States the follow up to this audit without delay.
- The EU and its Member States would also like to reassure of the support to Ms Msuya in the challenging task of leading UNEP, pending the appointment of the New Executive Director, while at the same time preparing the upcoming meeting of the UNEA. On the latter, we notice a good progress on the number of documents to feature on the agenda of UNEA-4, notably the Global Environment Outlook, the Programme of Work and Budget, the Ministerial Declaration, the Implementation Plan “Towards a Pollution Free Planet”. We look forward to an effective process to finalise these documents as well as other preparations for UNEA-4, in particular the consultations on draft resolutions. We also call for a consultative process with the CPR, ahead of UNEA-4, on the new UNEP’s Oceans strategy and the future of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities.
I thank you.
Agenda Item 8: Briefing on South-South cooperation
- The EU and its Member States thank the UNEP Secretariat for the Briefing on South-South cooperation.
- We would like to recall the recommendation put forward in the Chair's summary of the Annual Subcommittee in October 2018, to "Reconsider the communication framework between the Secretariat and member States, to improve transparency and inclusiveness, especially with regard to existing and potential new initiatives".
- The EU and its Member States believe that such a communication is critical to ensure the Member States' guidance for strategic initiatives, which require substantial resources from UNEP or could generate significant political interest.
- Unfortunately, to date, the two initiatives mentioned in the briefing, the China Africa Environmental Cooperation Center and the Belt and Road Initiative, have not been consulted with the CPR in an inclusive and participatory manner.
- We therefore ask the Secretariat to urgently organise necessary consultations with the CPR on the mentioned initiatives.